House of the Dragon is the prequel to Game of Thrones that will premiere on the HBO broadcast network. The historical drama will center on House Targaryen nearly two centuries before the events of the original series, which ended in May 2019 after eight seasons on the air. The upcoming historical drama has the challenge of not letting fans down, but this won’t be the only fantasy show hitting screens this summer.
Three years ago Game of Thrones reached its disastrous end with the eighth season. However, fans remain hopeful that House of the Dragon is the series that will make up for them, even though it will be set in a different time and with different characters. However, it is immersed in the same universe, as author George RR Martin told The Independent.
And it is that the fans are counting the days to see the premiere of House of the Dragon which will debut on HBO on August 21featuring the brutal civil war, also known as the Dance of the Dragons. But, Martin noted that the spinoff will have strong competition with another historical drama set to premiere via streaming platform Amazon Prime Video two weeks later.
It turns out that a few days after the premiere of House of the Dragon, the new Amazon Prime Video series, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, will also hit the screen .which has a release date of September 2. However, although it represents competition for the HBO series, the fact that they start almost at the same time does not mean that one of them has to fail, Martin told the same medium.
“I know a lot of articles, at the time the dates were announced, it’s, ‘Oh, the battle for fantasy supremacy. It’s Rings of Power vs. House of the Dragon, who’s going to win?’ I don’t know why they always have to do that.”
“I’m pretty competitive. I hope we have more success… If they win six Emmys, and I hope they do, I hope we win seven,” Martin said. “But it’s good for fantasy nonetheless. I love fantasy. I love science fiction. I want more shows on TV.”
The two great productions are new, but there is no denying that House of the Dragon and The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power will be compared in some aspects since the latter comes from a franchise that has been in development for a long time. . And as for whether fans will embrace House of the Dragon the way Games of Thrones did, the writer said we’ll have to wait and see.
Cast of House of the Dragon
- Paddy Considine – Viserys Targaryen
- Olivia Cooke Alicent Hightower
- Emma D’Arcy – Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen
- Matt Smith – Prince Daemon Targaryens
- Steve Toussaint – Lord Corlys Velaryon, The Sea Snake
- Eve Best – Princess Rhaenys Velaryon
- Rhys Ifans – Otto Hightower
- Sonoya Mizuno – Mysaria
- Fabien Frankel – Ser Criston Cole
- Milly Alcock – Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen (Young)
- Emily Carey – Alicent Hightower (Young)
- Ryan Corr – Ser Harwin ‘Breakbones’ Strong
- Jefferson Hall – Lord Jason Lannister, Tyland Lannister
- David Horovitch – Grand Master Mellos
- Graham McTavish – Ser Harrold Westerling
- Matthew Needham – Larys Strong
- Bill Paterson – Lord Lyman Beesbury
- Gavin Spokes – Lord Lyonel Strong