“Sanjay Raut was taken into custody. He was arrested because the BJP is terrified of him, “Sunil Raut, the brother of the Shiv Sena MP, stated
Sanjay Raut, a Shiv Sena lawmaker, was detained at midnight after spending hours being questioned about the redevelopment of a Mumbai chawl. Mr. Raut, 60, said that the centre was pursuing him in an effort to undermine Team Thackeray.
Here is a 10-point summary of this important story:
- “Sanjay Raut was taken into custody. He was arrested because the BJP is terrified of him. We have received no documents from them (regarding his arrest). He’s been set up. At 11.30 a.m., he will be brought before the court “Sunil Raut, a Sena MP’s brother, was quoted by news agency ANI. Given Mr. Raut’s detention, Sena has organised protests throughout Mumbai.
- Officials from the Enforcement Directorate searched Mr. Raut’s residence for the most of Sunday after he resisted being called in for interrogation despite receiving two summonses.
- On Sunday at 7 a.m., the investigation agency team arrived at the residence of the 60-year-old Sena MP. However, Mr. Raut wasn’t transported to the Enforcement Directorate office until later in the day.
- In relation to the redevelopment of a chawl in Mumbai and associated transactions involving his wife and close friends, the investigators wish to examine Mr. Raut.
- Later today, the Enforcement Directorate would present the Rajya Sabha MP of the Sena party led by former Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray before a court in Mumbai to request his custody, according to PTI.
- On Sunday, Mr. Raut told reporters that a “false” case had been built against him, and that the action taken by the government agency charged with combating financial crime was intended to damage the Shiv Sena.
- The Sena leader received criticism from the BJP for ignoring the summons. “If he is innocent, why does he fear the Enforcement Directorate? He has enough of time to do news conferences but not enough to attend the office of the investigating agency “BJP lawmaker Ram Kadam remarked.
- Varsha Raut, the wife of Mr. Raut, and two of his accomplices had their assets valued at about 11.15 crore rupees attached by the Enforcement Directorate in April. Varsha Raut owns a flat in Dadar, and she and Swapna Patkar, the spouse of Sujit Patkar, a “close colleague” of Sanjay Raut, jointly own eight plots at Kihim Beach in Alibaug.
- The agency wants to speak with Mr. Raut in order to learn more about his “business and other relationships” with his close friends Pravin Raut and Sujit Patkar, as well as his wife’s involvement in any real estate transactions.
- In connection with an investigation into a $1,034 crore alleged land scam involving the redevelopment of Patra Chawl in Goregaon, Pravin Raut was detained. He is currently being held by authorities.
According to the Enforcement Directorate, Guru Ashish Construction Pvt Ltd was involved in the redevelopment of the “chawl,” which had 672 residents living in tenements on 47 acres that belonged to the Maharashtra Housing Area Development Authority (MHADA).