Diljit Singh Dosanjh is an Indian actor, singer, and writer. He rose to fame by singing songs like “Nach Diyan Alhad Kuvarian” and “Pagan Pochayan Wale”. He is one of the prominent stars of Punjabi film and music industry.
Diljit Dosanjh Age, Family and Education
Diljit Dosanjh was born on 6 January 1984 (age 38 years; as in 2022) in Dosanjh Kalan, Jalandhar, Punjab. He belongs to a Punjabi Sikh family. His father worked as a bus driver in Punjab Roadways and used to earn around ₹5,000 a month. He did his primary education from Sri Guru Harkishan Public School, Ludhiana. He studied at Al Manar Public School, Ludhiana to complete his 10th standard. Diljit was inclined towards music from a very young age and started performing in Gurudwaras to fulfill his singing desires.
Diljit Dosanjh Family, and Caste
Diljit Dosanjh belongs to a Jat Sikh family. His father, Balbir Singh Dosanjh, worked as a bus driver with Punjab Roadways and his mother, Sukhwinder Kaur is a homemaker. Diljit has a brother, Manjit Singh. He also has a sister.
Diljit Dosanjh Wife
Diljit is married to Sandeep Kaur. The couple has a son.
Diljit Dosanjh Career
Diljit made his singing debut with the album “Ishq Da Uda Ada” in 2002, thereafter, he launched his album “Dil”. In February 2011, he made his acting debut with the film “The Lion of Punjab”, although the film underperformed. At the box office, his song “Luck 28 Kudi Da” from the film, which also featured ‘Yo Yo Honey Singh’, was a huge hit.
Diljit launched the first single “Nachdi De” in 2009 which featured Miss Pooja. Thereafter, he pulled out several super single tracks including “Patiala Peg,” “Jatt Fire Karda,” “5 Tara,” “Raees Di Gedi,” and “Jind Mahi.” In 2013, he achieved his singing breakthrough with the song “Proper Patola” featuring Badshah. Furthermore, the song became the first Punjabi song to be featured on Vivo.
Diljit’s song Proper Patola
Later, he acted in several Punjabi films like “Jatt and Juliet”, “Jatt and Juliet 2,” “Punjab 1984,” Sardarji, “Ambasaria,” and “Super Singh”.
Dosanjh made his acting debut in Bollywood with the film “Udta Punjab”. The film was a huge success and he also earned his first Filmfare from this film. Diljit has lent his voice for several Bollywood film tracks including “Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya”, “Tung Tung Baje” to “Singh Is Bling”, “Ikk Kuddi”. From the movie ‘Udta Punjab,’ and ‘Move Your Luck’ from the movie ‘Noor’.
In 2018, he acted in the film “Soorma”, in which he played the role of famous international hockey player “Sandeep Singh”. Diljit has also hosted the TV show “Awaaz Punjab Di”. He has endorsed various brands including Coca-Cola and Flipkart Connect for Punjab.
Apart from acting and singing, he is also a philanthropist. He founded the “Saanjh Foundation” on his 30th birthday (2013), which aims to help underprivileged children and senior citizens.
Diljit Singh Dosanjh controversy
Diljit faced criticism for his songs when some Punjabi women raised their voices against the songs of Diljit Dosanjh, Yo Yo Honey Singh and Jazzy B. They considered the songs obscene and anti-cultural.
In December 2012, Diljit’s Ludhiana was raided by a team of Income Tax Department.
Diljit Singh Dosanjh Award and Recognitions
- PTC Punjabi Music Award for Best Folk Pop Album for the album “The Next Level” (2010)
PTC Punjabi Film Award for Most Popular Song of the Year for the song “Lak 28 Kudi Da” (2010)
- Punjabi International Film Academy Award (2012) for Best Actor for the film “Jinne Mera Dil Luteya”
PTC Punjabi Music Award for Best Bhangra Song of the Year and Best Pop Singer Award for “Kharku” (2013).
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Actor for the movie “Jatt & Juliet 2” (2014) Song of the Year for Non-Film for the song “Patiala Peg” (2015)
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Most Popular Song for the song “Veerwar” (2016)
- Filmfare Award for Best Debut Actor Male for the movie “Udta Punjab” (2017)
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the Most Trending Personality of the Year (2018)
Diljit Dosanjh Net Worth
Diljit’s net worth is ₹ 170 crores. He is paid around 4 crores per film.
Favorite Things of Diljit Singh Dosanjh
- Food: Sarson ka Saag Makki ki Roti, Pinni
- Actress: Kareena Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Alia Bhatt, Kylie Jenner
- Singer: Gurdas Maan, Kuldeep Manak, Arijit Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan, Taylor Swift
- Fashion Brand: Tom Ford
Facts about diljit
- Diljit loves to dance in his spare time.
- He has a bungalow in Dugri Phase-2, Ludhiana.
- He was initially named “Diljit”, but changed it to “Diljit” on the recommendation of his record producer Rajinder Singh.
- In 2017, it was rumored that Diljit had bought a Cessna 340A jet plane. However, the actor clarified that Jet was only called to drop him off at a location in Rajasthan for the shooting of a film. He told that he does not own any private jet.
- Diljit is not very comfortable with the English language and prefers to speak in Punjabi. He explained that when he has to interact with an English speaking person, he needs someone’s help.
- Diljit is a die-hard fan of American TV personality Kylie Jenner. He is often seen commenting on his posts on social media platforms.
- Initially, he refused to act in Soorma as he did not want to play a sports character in the film, but Sandeep Singh’s inspiring story inspired him to take up the role. Later he also learned to play hockey under the guidance of Sandeep Singh.
- Diljit has rejected many directors’ films as he was asked to play the character without a turban.
- Diljit considers Johnny Depp’s role as “Captain Jack Sparrow” in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ as his dream role.